[OS X TeX] Asking for Help with 'Poker Package'

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Tue Feb 16 00:35:43 CET 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Iraj Kalantari wrote:

> Esteemed Experts,
>
> I was looking for a package that could handle playing cards and I
> came upon a wonderful-looking one by Olaf Encke at:
>
> http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.text.tex/2007-10/msg00350.html
> .
>
> I downloaded the package from:
>
> download site: http://www.encke.net/UpDownload-req-viewdownloaddetails-lid-21-title-poker.sty...LaTeX.Poker.package.v0.8a.html
> direct link: http://www.encke.net/UpDownload-req-getit-lid-21.html
>
> But I am unable to run 'poker.doc.tex' (the author's introduction)
> on my Mac (10.5.8, relevant?)
As others have mentioned, you need to compile these documents using TeX
+DVI, not pdflatex. But there's an error in the poker.sty file itself:
it assumes an older version of pstricks.

To get the documentation to compile, either change all instances of
\scaleboxto to \psscaleboxto in poker.sty, or add

\let\scaleboxto\psscaleboxto

to the preamble of any document you compile with the original sty file.

Alan