[OS X TeX] extrange error

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Sun Feb 7 20:26:08 CET 2010

Sr,

You have made a rod for your back.

On 8/02/2010, at 4:35 AM, Sr Sur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Herb,
>
> "how many eps figures you have, if they change rapidly and if there
> are other kinds of figures (e.g., pdf or jpg) you need to include"
>
> in fact I have my figures in .cdr (Corel Draw for MAC, I started to
> do the figures in a PC, because in my lab people use to work with
> windows). And people who show me the first steps in LaTeX
> (Physicists)  normally use to work with .ps .eps images. Then from
> Corel Draw you can obtain your .eps directly from your selection in
> Corel,  and when you compiles the images are with High resolution
> (300 ppi, in the .eps conversion).
>
> My Thesis report have about 60 big images (the eps around 30-50 MB).

Ouch. If it had been known that you are using raster images and not
vector art most responses will have been different. Corel Draw images,
in my experience, include data that processors such as Ghostscript do
not like. These are proprietary postscript code that enables such
things as multiple pages within the eps file.

Now, I am going to assume your images are not in colour and that they
use an RGB colour space. First thing to do is to take them into an
image editing program such as Photoshop and convert the eps images to
greyscale. This will remove up to two thirds of the image payload. If
they are colour however, then leave them as is. Set your print
resolution at this this point too.

 From Photoshop (or your favourite image processor) you can save them
as tiff image files but *do not* use LZW compression. Convert the
images to pdf from there. You are not looking at a large number of
files so it will not take long.

> Alan,
>
> "Unless you have any specific reason to keep the EPS files I would
> advise converting them to PDF."
>
> so... perhaps is better to convert my EPS to PDF. one reason is the
> weight of the images.
> but with .eps the resolution is really good

pdf compression is potentially better higher than most eps compression.

> Which is the best way to convert my images to .pdf out of LaTeX??
> from .eps to .pdf ? with acrobat distiller?.

Herb has suggested an easy route or you can use Preview, or you can
open the files in a program, select File>Print and from the print
dialog select Save As PDF.

> I use Big-sized Images due to the Nature of my results. The figures
> are compositions of Electron micrsocopy  and Atomic force microscopy
> images, some times is better to have large images to see better the
> structure I want to show... The over sized pages is a good Idea!!!
> but if I've to print is difficult to put it as a report...

Unless you print the oversize pages on oversize paper and bind them
together when all are printed ;)

> I've been playing with the pdftex script and my file.. And, the work
> with  the out put is slower (I mean, to move it or make a zoom---)
> than the TEX+DVI way when I see it with texshop... is it normal?.

??

Probably has more to do with the eps images.

--
Alan T Litchfield
AlphaByte