[OS X TeX] Installation of MiKTeX in a Windows 7 VM under MacOSX

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Fri Feb 5 00:17:44 CET 2010

I have just joined this list, and I wonder if anyone has reported on
problems with the installation of MiKTeX 2.8 under Windows 7 in a
Parallels virtual machine?  I am simply unable to complete the install,
and I cannot think of any remedies which I have not tried.  The
installation breaks down somewhere in the middle every time, at
different places every time I run the installation file.  On the other
hand, I have to admit that I am a newbie in respect to both MacOSX and
Parallels.  In other words, ignorance on my part  might be a factor.

And, yes, I know, the next question will be, why do you not do LaTeX
under MacOSX instead?  The reason is simple:  I have problems with the
installation of some (at the time: one) package (floatflt) under
MacTex.  I have had generous help from one user of this list (Benoît
RIVET) on that particular problem, but I wonder if there may be other
problems lurking around as well.  As always with computers you have to
be slightly paranoid.  Computers are completely neutral, in a somewhat
malicious manner.  Therefore, having more than one alternative to
produce the documents you need is a good strategy.

Tom