[OS X TeX] Acrobat Distiller

Timothy Van Zandt tvz1 at zandtwerk.org
Tue Feb 2 00:58:20 CET 2010

Hello,

This is coming a bit late, and I'm not sure whether to reply to this thread
or the subsequent "TeXShop Engine" thread. But anyway, here is what I have
been doing for a while.

As noted by others, Distiller doesn't work directly from the command line.
But it can be invoked by an applescript, and then you can run the
applescript from the command line.

What I am going to describe is for Acrobat 8; I don't have Acrobat 9 so I
can't say if it still works the same way.

I have an applescript called "acrodist.scpt" as follows:

on run argv
    with timeout of (8 * 60) seconds
        tell application "Acrobat Distiller"
            Distill sourcePath item 1 of argv
        end tell
    end timeout
end run

Then I have an executable shell script called "acrodist"

#! /bin/sh

osascript ~/bin/acrodist.scpt $1

Then, in the TeXShop preferences, under "Misc", I define the following
personal script (all on one line, under "Latex Program"):

simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extradvipsopts "-j0" --distiller
(/tvz/bin/acrodist

(To be honest, I don't remember why I included the "-j0" option.)

And under the Typesetting tab, I set the Default Script to "Personal
Script".

Regards,

tim