[OS X TeX] Syncing in one direction only

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 02:26:59 CET 2010

On Dec 26, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:

> Hi Alain,
>
> On 2010-23Dec-, at 8:40 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> On Dec 23, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:
>>
>>> Now working on the suggestion made by Alain Schremmer.
>>
>> It should work but if not, let me know.
>
> I've not been able to replicate your example in the case of two
> sources files. So I'm missing something. This is the setup:
>
> (1) In a directory ~/Documents/Alain/ I have the three subdirectories:
>
> 	Contents	Controls	WholeBook
>
> I'm not yet at your 'ALL' stage.  ;-)
>
> (2) In directory Contents/, I have two 'source' files '1.tex' and
> '2.tex'. Their content is simply that of longer chapters from which
> they have been culled. When typeset, each produces about three
> pages, mostly text, but a teeny bit of math stuff in '2.tex'. Each
> begins with the comment line:
>
> %!TEX root = ../Controls/n.tex
>
> where n is 1 or 2, as appropriate. The first non-comment line is a
> \chapter command.
>
> (3) In directory Controls/, there are two 'master' or 'root' files
> '1.tex' and '2.tex'. Here is the essence of '2.tex'
>
> ---------------------------
> \documentclass[11pt]{book}
>
> % a very simple preamble which I'm confident is not the problem
>
> \begin{document}
> \frontmatter
> \tableofcontents
>
> \mainmatter
> \addtocounter{page}{3}		% adjust <page> counter to number of pages
> in 1.tex
> \addtocounter{chapter}{1}	% adjust <chapter> counter  so that when
> \chapter is
> 				% encountered, then <chapter> will be incremented to 2
> \include{../Contents/2}		% includes ~/Documents/Alain/Contents/2.tex
> \end{document}
> ---------------
>
> Structure of Controls/1.tex is essentially the same with requisite
> changes.
>
> Next is my assumption about the purpose of the .tex files mentioned
> so far!
>
> H1: When working on the file Contents/1.tex, one initially typesets
> the file Controls/1.tex and thereafter one can sync back and forth
> as one repairs or augments the file Contents/1.tex.
>
> H2: Same as H1 with '1' replaced by '2'.
>
> If H1 and H2 and not correct, then please clarify!
>

> Assuming that H1 and H2 are okay, here is what happens:
>
> Before continuing, I note that in the Contents/ directory, the two
> files '1.tex' and '2.tex' are the only files! In this directory,
> there is neither a '1.aux' nor a '2.aux' file.
>

> (4) File Controls/1.tex is loaded into TeXShop, and TYPESET is
> requested. The main console complaint is:
>
> --------------------------
> No file ../Contents/1.aux.
> ) (./1.toc) [1{/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/
> updmap/pdftex
> .map}] [2]
> /usr/texbin/pdflatex: Not writing to ../Contents/1.aux (openout_any
> = p).

> [...]

(1) I have had problems with "I can't write on aux file ... openout".
It's mentioned in Companion 2ed, page 901:

"[...] TeX installations are by default configured to be paranoid
(hence p in openout_any = p)" [...] To change that behavior you have
to modify the settings in the file texmf.cnf

I did it following Bruno Voisin's instructions on this list on March
22, 2007 1:35:26 PM EDT

(2) I have attached a zip of a minimum example which---I just
checked---works here.

(3) Re H1: You can typeset a chapter either from the control file or
from the contents file. Either way, you get one aux file in each
folder (different ones).

(4)	I use %!TEX root = ../Controls/\jobname.tex so as to avoid
entering chapter numbers by hand and making mistakes.

(5)	I don't think that
		\frontmatter
		\tableofcontents
		\mainmatter
	in the control file for a chapter will get you chapter TOCs. Use
titletoc.

Regards
--schremmer