[OS X TeX] personal package : following 2

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Dec 24 02:48:57 CET 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 6:03 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2010, at 2:18 PM, Alan Munn wrote:
>
>> Since this is a problem that comes up from time to time, would it be possible for the MacTeX installer to check if the ~/Library/texmf folder exists, and if it doesn't create one with the appropriate folder structure?  (It's trivial to write a script to do this. (I can send you one.) This would probably save very new users a lot of frustration. I think many of underestimate how familiar users are with how the files on their computer are organized, so even the simple "make a bunch of directories" isn't as simple a task as we might think.
>

> Indeed!
>
> I am contemplating moving to new hardware and thus system and I really would like it for the MacTeX installer to do the entire installation.
>
> Best, hopeful, regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

Come on Schremmer... after all this time you certainly know how to create your personal texmf tree. The MacTeX installer package does all of the rest for you! Also, if you use the Migration Assistant your complete personal texmf tree will automatically get copied to the new system so there will be no work to do.

Well, not quite... you should still update the TeX Distribution using the TeX Live Utility (I assume here that the new system will be running something later than Tiger :-)).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)