[OS X TeX] Russian characters contained in included .pdf do not appear in compiled document

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sun Dec 19 23:52:08 CET 2010

On Dec 19, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Manuel wrote:

> On 19/12/2010, at 18:34, David Derbes wrote:

>>> Is it possible that the cyrillic characters were added as PDF
>>> annotations in some way (i.e. themselves added to an existing pdf
>>> document?)  pdfpages strips out certain kinds of annotations that
>>> can be added by Acrobat.  If the text could have been added that
>>> way, that might explain why it doesn't appear.
>>>
>>> (Unfortunately there would be no solution to this, if that is
>>> indeed the case.)
>>>
>>> Alan
>>
>> If this is what is going on, then maybe the answer is to print the
>> illustration to eps, open that up in Illustrator, and add your own
>> cyrillic. If Manuel would like me to give that a try, he can send
>> me the illustration and I'll see what I can do. No promises it will
>> work, but it's worth a shot.
>>
>> David Derbes
>> loki at uchicago.edu
>> University of Chicago Lab Schools
>>

> No, the cyrillic characters are part of the original document. It's
> just the title of the song. The transliteration and the translation
> appear correctly after adding the headings (page numbers), something
> like:
>
> Коробушка
> (Korobuschka)
> Der Hausierer
>
> in the original, and only:
>
> (Korobuschka)
> Der Hausierer
>
> afterwards. (By the way, that's the well known song sometimes
> reffered to as "the Tetris theme"). I assumed that adding headings
> on a pdf should not "reprocess" the original pdf and indeed nothing
> else is changed at all - words, music, layout stay all the same. I'm
> beginning to think that this is really odd, so I'm including here
> the original page and the changed one.

Well we know what's happened now, but not why: the original document
has 6 fonts embedded in it; the file created by pdfpages has 5.  The
difference is that the original document has CenturySchl-Bold embedded
twice, but with different encodings: one is Roman and the other is
Custom.  I suspect that pdflatex itself is 'cleaning up' the multiple
embeddings incorrectly.  Here's a solution:

Process your file with xelatex instead of pdflatex; it doesn't have
this problem on my test document.  (There may be other aspects of
pdfpages that might not work with xelatex, but it won't harm to try.)

Alan