[OS X TeX] Xelatex fontspec Texshop and command line

Curiouslearn curiouslearn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 21:23:23 CET 2010

Hello All,

The following minimal example compiles fine if I run Xelatex in
TexShop. However, if I run

    xelatex filename.tex

from command line then I get an error and no pdf file is produced. Can
someone please help me understand what is happening?

I ran

    which xelatex

at the command line to find which xelatex is being called. It outputs:

    usr/texbin/xelatex

The minimal example is:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage[hmargin={1.2in,1.2in},vmargin={1.5in,1.5in}]{geometry}
\usepackage{mdwlist}
\usepackage{paralist}
\usepackage{fontspec}

\usepackage{array}

\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\setlength{\parskip}{2ex plus 0.5ex minus 0.1ex}

\linespread{1.05}

\begin{document}
\fontspec{Cambria}

This works when typeset from TexShop. However, if I typeset using the
xelatex command at the command line, I get an error.

trying acc\'{e}nted characters.

\end{document}

Thanks in advance for your help.