[OS X TeX] Russian characters contained in included .pdf do not appear in compiled document

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sun Dec 19 23:52:08 CET 2010


On Dec 19, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Manuel wrote:

>
> On 19/12/2010, at 18:34, David Derbes wrote:
>
>>
>> On Dec 19, 2010, at 11:28 AM, Alan Munn wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Dec 19, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Manuel wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 19/12/2010, at 12:47, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Try to save the pdf 2010 in Preview first, or, if this doesn't  
>>>>> help, by applying the Quartz Filter "... create generic PDFX-3  
>>>>> document" in addition. This will include all necessary fonts  
>>>>> information in the pdf file.
>>>>>
>>>>> Claus
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Claus, I just did as you suggested (I tried it twice), but - no  
>>>> cigar. The original displays the cyrillic characters but the  
>>>> numerated pages for some reason exclude them.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Is it possible that the cyrillic characters were added as PDF  
>>> annotations in some way (i.e. themselves added to an existing pdf  
>>> document?)  pdfpages strips out certain kinds of annotations that  
>>> can be added by Acrobat.  If the text could have been added that  
>>> way, that might explain why it doesn't appear.
>>>
>>> (Unfortunately there would be no solution to this, if that is  
>>> indeed the case.)
>>>
>>> Alan
>>
>> If this is what is going on, then maybe the answer is to print the  
>> illustration to eps, open that up in Illustrator, and add your own  
>> cyrillic. If Manuel would like me to give that a try, he can send  
>> me the illustration and I'll see what I can do. No promises it will  
>> work, but it's worth a shot.
>>
>> David Derbes
>> loki at uchicago.edu
>> University of Chicago Lab Schools
>>
>
>
> No, the cyrillic characters are part of the original document. It's  
> just the title of the song. The transliteration and the translation  
> appear correctly after adding the headings (page numbers), something  
> like:
>
> Коробушка
> (Korobuschka)
> Der Hausierer
>
> in the original, and only:
>
> (Korobuschka)
> Der Hausierer
>
> afterwards. (By the way, that's the well known song sometimes  
> reffered to as "the Tetris theme"). I assumed that adding headings  
> on a pdf should not "reprocess" the original pdf and indeed nothing  
> else is changed at all - words, music, layout stay all the same. I'm  
> beginning to think that this is really odd, so I'm including here  
> the original page and the changed one.

Well we know what's happened now, but not why: the original document  
has 6 fonts embedded in it; the file created by pdfpages has 5.  The  
difference is that the original document has CenturySchl-Bold embedded  
twice, but with different encodings: one is Roman and the other is  
Custom.  I suspect that pdflatex itself is 'cleaning up' the multiple  
embeddings incorrectly.  Here's a solution:

Process your file with xelatex instead of pdflatex; it doesn't have  
this problem on my test document.  (There may be other aspects of  
pdfpages that might not work with xelatex, but it won't harm to try.)


Alan

>
> Manuel
>
> <2010 (dragged).pdf>
>
>
>
> <Numerar (dragged).pdf>
>
> ----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
> List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
> List Info: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
>

-- 
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com




-------------- next part --------------
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex



More information about the macostex-archives mailing list