[OS X TeX] Re: "! LaTeX Error: No counter 'a' defined."

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Dec 19 03:14:59 CET 2010

On Dec 18, 2010, at 7:53 PM, John B. Thoo wrote:

>> Message: 6
>> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:29:51 -0600
>> From: Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
>>

>> On Dec 17, 2010, at 2:54 PM, John B. Thoo wrote:
>>
>> Are you saying you are uncommenting more than one \includeonly command?
>
> No, I uncomment only one \includeonly at a time.
>

>> Do you any command definitions in the (un)included files that are used by the other files?
>
> I don't think so.  But here's something else I discovered, viz., if I comment out the line
>
>  \include{ch_numthry}
>
> then I do not get those other errors no matter which \includeonly is uncommented, so there must be something (but I don't know what) about the file "ch_numthry.tex".

Howdy,

Are you using a theorem style in that chapter that is not used anywhere else? Obviously something in that chapter is different. If you ONLY include that chapter do you get problems?

>> Are the \includeonly commands in the preamble or the body of the document?
>
> They are before the \begin{document}; is that the preamble?

Yes, that's the preamble. Just wasn't sure about that from your original post.

>> Could something in the [...] be interfering with things?
>
> I don't know.  What should I be looking for?
>
> Thanks again, y'all.  I really appreciate your time helping.
>
> ---John.

Well, it looks like something in that chapter is a culprit do you're making some progress.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)