[OS X TeX] Troubles compiling in Terminal

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 9 14:23:52 CET 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 1:36 AM, Jesper Duemose Nielsen wrote:

> Hello folks,
> I am having troubles compiling my .tex files using Terminal and the command "pdflatex". It works all fine when compiling with texshop, but when I try to do it manually I get the following message:
>
> Last login: Thu Dec  9 08:24:14 on ttys000
> ip-23-119:~ Jesper$ pdflatex sppensumoversigt.tex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
> restricted \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
> ! I can't find file `sppensumoversigt.tex'.
> <*> sppensumoversigt.tex
>
> (Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
> Please type another input file name:
>
> I tried typing the entire path as well (users/Jesper/Desktop/sppensumoversigt/sppensumoversigt.tex), but the same error occurs. I don't if I am typing the file/path name incorrectly or what could cause the problem?
>
> Regards,
> Jesper

Howdy,

First, since the Desktop is where your file resides why don't you simply change directory (cd) to it,

cd ~/Desktop

before running anything else. That way it becomes you working directory and the files will be written to that directory. Also, if a file is visible on your Desktop or a window on your Desktop you can get the correct full path to that file in Terminal by simply dragging the icon of that file onto the Terminal window.

Second, are you spelling the file name correctly? I seem to see the word `oversigt' embedded in the file name, is that really `oversight', with an `h'?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)