[OS X TeX] Re: Latexian 1.0 Released

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 9 14:08:38 CET 2010

On Dec 8, 2010, at 11:17 PM, Alain Matthes wrote:

>>> ???? I work 12 hours per day with pdftex, latex and textmate without these
>>> lines of codes and I'm alive
>>>

>> Yes, but if you must deal with non-English files done by other people,
>> and continue to editing it by several persons (not all of them experts),
>> "%!TEX encoding" is very useful to avoid the chaos of mixtures of encodings
>> in the same file.
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> Juan Luis
>
> I work with french or english files but I use only UTF8.
> I don't understand why "%!TEX encoding" is very useful to avoid the chaos of mixtures of encodings
> in the same file? For me it's the chaos to mix several encodings.
>
> If you put %!TEX encoding = ...  you can mix encodings? I never try that but if you are right
> is very fine. Perhaps I need to read something about %!TEX ...
>
> Best Regards
>
> Alain Matthes

Howdy,

If you are using an editor that ``understands'' the encoding line (introduced by TeXShop and carried on by TeXworks) then the encoding used when opening the file will always be the one in that line. That way no matter what the default encoding is set for that Editor in its preferences the file will be used in the ``correct'' encoding.

I beliuve most emacs-en have their own version of that line that is usually placed at the end of the file.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)