[OS X TeX] EPS to PDF conversion fails in graphicx (but not in preview)

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri Dec 3 23:13:04 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 09:49:32PM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 03.12.2010 um 18:02 schrieb Themis Matsoukas:
> >I have followed the various suggestions. The question remains,
> >however, that the problematic eps file is converted properly by
> >preview but not by epstopdf. Here is a more recent version of that
> >file. This version was annotated heavily in AI and, paradoxically,
> >epstopdf converts it properly, unlike the earlier version. This
> >too contains Adobe garbage but, apparently, not toxic enough to
> >give eps2pdf a bad stomach.
> Themis,
> it's not a question of complexity of the image or the PostScript
> code. The problem is that the *obvious* PostScript code ends and
> *obvious* garbage starts, as this screenshot shows:

There is no need for guesswork or inspection: according to Adobe's
eps specification, for an eps with preview the first 4 bytes should
be #c5d0d3c6, the next 4 bytes indicate the start of the postscript
code and the 4 bytes after that the length of the postscript
section. This makes it trivially easy in almost any scripting
language to extract the actual postscript code.

Siep Kroonenberg