[OS X TeX] unable to use makebst

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Thu Aug 26 04:05:22 CEST 2010

Hi, I subscribe in digest mode, so here a responses to yesterday's replies.

> Howdy,
>
> After you follow the instructions in QM.10 parts (d) and (e) you need to either open a new Terminal Window or restart Terminal for the fixed up PATH to take effect. Did you do that?
>
> In Terminal (after above), what does
>
> echo $PATH
>
> return?
>
> The reason that GUI front ends still work is that they use /usr/texbin directly so they don't depend upon the existence of the correct PATH variable. There may be some TeXShop engines that won't work!
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I had not restarted Terminal, but did so today. The problem was not fixed. And I did echo $PATH:
echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin :/usr/X11/bin

I am not sure what this is supposed to be, but what I got somehow does not seem right!

> This indicates that the shell you are using does not what directory to
> look in to find the command 'latex'.  The way to fix this is to add "/
> usr/texbin" to your PATH variable, for example,
>   export PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH
> if you are using "bash" or "sh".  Check the man page for your shell
> for details.
>
> To determine what shell you are using, try
>   echo $SHELL
> or
>   echo $shell
> One of these should give you a response of the for "/bin/shell", and
> you use the last part of that as your shell name (e.g., for 'bash',
> you'll get "/bin/bash", so use "man bash").
>
> HTH
>
> Justin
>
> --
> Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
> Institute for the Absorption of Federal Funds

I am using bash and
> export PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH
fixed the problem. I don't recall seeing this in the FAQ QM.10.

So now if I do:
echo $PATH
/usr/texbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin :/usr/X11/bin

Oh wait: if I close Terminal and relaunch it, I am back to square one until I do the export PATH command again, so this was not a permanent solution.

> The pointer /usr/texbin can also be used in the Terminal, like
>
> /usr/texbin/latex  filename
>
> Claus

But my mac is too stubborn:
 usr/texbin/latex makebst
-bash: usr/texbin/latex: No such file or directory

So I am still not in business, although the export PATH command can get me going.

Denis