[OS X TeX] unable to use makebst

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Tue Aug 24 22:02:04 CEST 2010

On Aug 24, 2010, at 12:11 , Denis Chabot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to create a new bst file and it has been a while since I used
> makebst. But do I have a hard time just launching it.
>
> When typing "latex makebst" in terminal, I get
> -bash: latex: command not found

This indicates that the shell you are using does not what directory to
look in to find the command 'latex'.  The way to fix this is to add "/
usr/texbin" to your PATH variable, for example,
   export PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH
if you are using "bash" or "sh".  Check the man page for your shell
for details.

To determine what shell you are using, try
   echo $SHELL
or
   echo $shell
One of these should give you a response of the for "/bin/shell", and
you use the last part of that as your shell name (e.g., for 'bash',
you'll get "/bin/bash", so use "man bash").

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large