[OS X TeX] Re: The microtype mystery

George Gratzer gratzer at me.com
Fri Aug 20 17:02:03 CEST 2010

I just woke up that my problem is solved!

> Interestingly, the amssymb package---which loads the amsfonts package---appears to have all the symbols that latexsym contains so there is no need for the duplication and the speed difference is obvious. Am I wrong here?

First, Herb you are wrong. My recollection is that latexsym defines about a dozen symbols
that amsfonts does not. It seems, however, that I do not need any one of them. So I commented out

\RequirePackage{latexsym}

in the sty file and here are the results:

without microtype:

real	0m2.604s
user	0m2.534s
sys	0m0.067s

with microtype:

real	0m7.172s
user	0m7.103s
sys	0m0.062s

PERFECT!

I am really grateful for your help Martin and Herb. Ido not know how you came up
with the idea that latexsym could be a factor. To me it was only a definition
of a dozen commands...

I will report soon what these times are like with the new iMac.

GG