[OS X TeX] How to make locate/spotlight search ~/Library/texmf

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 10 18:51:52 CEST 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Alan Munn wrote:

> Hi,  I can use the locate command in a Terminal to quickly find files in /usr/local/texlive.  However, it doesn't find files in ~/Library/texmf.  How do I make it do that?

I'd guess that the locate database won't contain anything in the Users folder since that is private for each individual user. Perhaps there is a way to ell it to build a personal database.

> Secondly, what's the relationship between the Spotlight search (via Command-space) and the locate search database?  They clearly don't find the same things, since /usr/local files never show up in the Command-Space searches.  Is there a way to make them match?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan

There is no relationship between them. The technology is different for the two things.

I've been using `Find Any File', <http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.html>, and I'm quite happy with it.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)