[OS X TeX] microtype

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Aug 9 22:30:44 CEST 2010

Le 09/08/2010 20:43, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
> Am 09.08.2010 um 19:06 schrieb George Gratzer:
>
>> Would these contribute to speeder typesettings with microtype?
>
> I doubt it. TeX is not multi-threaded.

I agree. Just to be more explicit: it means it will always use only one core. So
adding more cores won't help.

> runs, and runs, and runs, and runs. Really clever is to install the
> maximum 16 GB of RAM (I think 8 GB should suffice) and at least one
> SSD (with two SSDs you could create a RAID0 with twice the bandwidth)
> and use some amount of the RAM as RAM disk volumes (which are very
> fast, always, and don't degrade). Here, in this *volatile* RAM disks
> (each volume for a particular use) you can pdftex lightning fast.
> Without ruining your SSD. You just have to remember to copy the final
> product(s) to safe disk – which the Makefile might achieve as very
> last step as well. (Actually Spotlight could save it directly on an
> external disk.)

Do you really need so much ram? You could to just a little ramdisk for the tex
compilation. Besides, the time added by using microtype is probably spent doing
computations of line breaks, not disk I/O, so the ramdisk probably won't help
that much here...

Manuel.