Finding the Wiki (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Tex to rtf converter)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 19:34:45 CEST 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 12:20 PM, <cfrees at imapmail.org>
<cfrees at imapmail.org> wrote:

> On Fri 6th Aug, 2010 at 08:48, Alain Schremmer seems to have written:
>
>> (2) I noticed two absences in the wiki: (Note the absence of any
>> joke here.)
>>
>> 	(a)	sage on the mathematics helpers page.
> Please do go ahead and add this. It certainly should be there. (You
> might search for it first just in case it is on a different page for
> some reason because then you can just move it or link to it, as
> appropriate.)

Not familiar with the search feature there but I did do a search.
Will do it but first I have to learn how. (There is some nonsense re.
diff. calc. on Wikipedia which I have always been afraid to correct
lest I do some serious damage.)

>> 	(b)	a page for pieces of code that do a specific thing. Below are
>> examples of what I mean and which I would post on the wiki should
>> it be appropriate.
> I don't think I should decide this one. Let's see what the Editor
> says.
> My main concern with this sort of addition would be that it could
> easily turn into an unmanageable mess. On the other hand, it does seem
> potentially very useful if this sort of information isn't available
> elsewhere.

With the obvious exception, they all come from people on this list.
On occasion, I have re-posted them whenever they seemed to answer a
question. Seemed the right thing to do.

> So perhaps we should think a little about whether we could
> put a structure in place which would help ensure code snippets were
> easy to find, manage and update as a first step. Then you (and others)
> could fit snippets into the structure, expanding it as necessary.

OK.

> For example, they'd need to be sorted at least in terms of where they
> belong (package file? preamble? main document? bibtex file?); the
> engine(s) and/or format(s) they need; and purpose. Maybe also by
> package used, at least for major packages. More?

There ought to be a brief descriptive notice as to the use and what
package(s) are necessary for it to run.

Regards
--schremmer