[OS X TeX] Tex to rtf converter

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 23:51:02 CEST 2010

On Aug 4, 2010, at 5:27 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> First... since latex2rtf and latex2html are not part of a TeX Live
> distribution (ergo MacTeX) there is no reason to include such and
> engine.

That's for sure. But then this begs the question: why not? And, lest
anyone thinks I am being other than I am, let me state that I am
merely curious as to why the creators of TeXLive and MacTeX, to whom
I am completely grateful, have so chosen and let me add that I am
absolutely and totally convinced that this is not out of any kind of
negligence whatsoever.

> Here's an engine I use for creating latex->html documents using
> tex4ht. First go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ and pick any .engine
> file, duplicate it (Cmd-D) and renaame the duplicate
> htlatex.engine. Then open that file in TeXShop by double clicking
> it, replace all the text in that engine with
>
> #!/bin/bash
> htlatex "$1" "html,pic-m+,pic-tabular,pic-fbox"
>
> (make sure you end with a final return) and save it. When you
> restart TeXshop and open a source file take a look at the popup
> menu next to the Typeset button on the toolbar. you'll see the new
> engine listed.
>
> Here's how you use this engine. Open a latex .tex file you wish
> translated to html (I suggest you first COPY it and associated
> files into a new folder since lots of files will be generated) and,
> at the top of the file put the line
>
> % !TEX TS-program = htlatex
>
> replacing any line like that may already there. Then simply Typeset
> (Cmd-T). Since there is no pdf file created you must simply wait
> until processing shown in the Console window stops. Assuming you
> started with myfile.tex look for the myfile.html file. When you
> double click this file it should open in your Browser and show your
> document converted to html. It's usually quite ugly unless yout
> take pains to make it as best you can (e.g., use the mathptmx
> package to make math appear with the usual Times, etc.). You'll
> also want to play with the options listed in the engine: this is
> why such an engine is not supplied with TeXShop---too much personal
> taste.

Thank you very much for these instructions which I will soon try to
follow and will report on.

Grateful regards
--schremmer