[OS X TeX] file permissions

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Apr 30 21:58:04 CEST 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Daniel Becker wrote:

> On 30.04.2010, at 23:04, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> Did you install TeX Live via MacTeX?
>
> yes
>
>> The installer also installs Ghostscript and convert, from ImageMagick, in the process.
>
> Yes, but I needed the full ImageMagick for a non-TeX project and so I decided to go for macports. And while I was at it, I
>
>> Do you already have gs in /usr/local/bin/?
>
> Yes - the is gs which is an alias to gs-X11.
>
>> If so, you move /usr/local/bin before the /opt/... directory in your PATH variable.
>
> But this would mean that the one installed by MacTeX is found first, right? I think I want to use the gs from macports and this seems to be the case:
>
> Daniels-MacBook:~ danielb$ which gs
> /opt/local/bin/gs
>
> Not that I feel knowledgeable about PATH or so after my embarrassing chmod operation..... Mine looks like this:
> Daniels-MacBook:~ danielb$ echo $PATH
> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin
>
> I hope that there is nothing unusual here.
>
> Daniel

Howdy,

You mentioned that you might want to update Ghostscript and I thought the one installed by MacTeX would be newer. Only convert from ImageMagick is installed by MacTeX; all other parts would be found in /opt/local/... but that may cause an interference depending upon what those other parts do.

For what you want, assuming you don't have the MacPorts TeX Distribution, things look fine with your PATH.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)