[OS X TeX] Where does TeX look for files?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Apr 19 14:27:20 CEST 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 8:49 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2010, at 9:12 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> Just for my information... why not just put the sty files in the texmf tree rather than scatter them around who knows where?
>
> I bet you are going to regret having asked the question before you are done with this cockamamy stuff.
>
> Gleeful regards
> --schremmer
>
> I use style files for a lot of things and I need to change them very often and I need to back them up along with the rest in the folder RAFv4 where they all are in a folder called ... StyleSheets.

Ok... that was enough! :-)

By the way, there is a really nice TeXShop Macro, called Open Selection and written by Mathew Hill, that will look along the normal PATH and open a style sheet (or bib file, or class file, or included/input file, etc.) by selecting its name in the .tex source file and running the Macro. I use it quite a bit when I want to look at one of those files. I think it's part of the default set but, if it isn't I'll gladly attach it to a message.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)