[OS X TeX] Re: compatibility of todo package with xelatex

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Apr 18 01:17:32 CEST 2010

On 18/04/2010, at 8:32 AM, Rob Rye wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I stumbled upon a solution for my problem after Federico pointed me
> in the right direction by pointing out the amssymb call in todo
> itself and the fact that it is a font-related package...

Aaah; yes it is in the latest version of  todo.sty .
--- which I only just installed, after having done
some tests with the earlier version.

Please ignore my previous post, except to make sure
that  \usepackage{todo}  comes  *before*
  \usepackage{xunicode}  and  \usepackage{fontspec} .

> I moved
>
> \usepackage{todo}
>
> to the beginning of the preamble.

Yes. This would work.

> It seems that under XeTeX/XeLaTeX the amssymb package (or
> presumably any other package that requires it) needs to come before
> other packages that use amslatex packages.

No. The reason is that with the Xunicode  package,
you *do not need* to load  amssymb.sty  at all.

Those macros are already defined, and work with any proper
OpenType font being used for mathematical symbols.
If you were using such a font then you would not want
to be mixing the old AMS fonts in with your nice equations
made using that ome self-consistent font.
The result would look pretty terrible.

Whereas Xunicode makes its definitions in a way that doesn't
care that the macro is already defined, this cannot also be
said for old packages like  amssymb.sty .
That is why the loading order matters.

> I am guessing that I was using something else that called an
> amslatex style package (euler.sty?). I saw references to similar
> issues arising from the order of package calls under XeTeX in a
> previous discussion at
>
> http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-October/011031.html
>
> For completeness sake here is the new preamble (that works with the
> only change being I moved todo up to the beginning):

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au