[OS X TeX] OT: Ancient things (was: Synchronization)

James Owen jhgowen at mac.com
Fri Apr 16 18:34:31 CEST 2010

On 16 Apr 2010, at 14:25, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 07:15:16 -0500, Herbert Schulz
> <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 2010, at 4:15 AM, Martin Wilhelm Leidig wrote:
>>
>>> Well, that’s not really old.  My family’s house is documented back to
>>> the 14th century (we are entitled to carry shield and spear in defense
> of
>>> the city walls of Kulmbach ;-), I live in a town founded by the Romans
> in
>>> 89 (and made a civitas in 98), my last car was a Saab 900i from 1990
>>> (sold last year, still running), my work Macs are a PB G4 and a
> PowerMac
>>> G5 (and I sometimes use a Quadra 840AV).  Even so I’m using a
> constantly
>>> updated TeXlive 2009.  ;-)
>
>> The conception of OLD and NEW are very different in Europe vs. the
> United
>> States. I remember visiting a small town in England where the NEW Church
>> was built in the 1600s; that would be very OLD in the United States and,
>> most likely, would no longer exist.
>
> Old and new is relative. But I must admit I was taken off guard when told
> about the new college in oxford (http://www.new.ox.ac.uk/). It is indeed
> relative, as there are older colleges in Oxford.

The other one that confuses visitors is University College.
Interestingly, New College, in its charter, was required to maintain a section of the
city walls, and it still faithfully carries out this obligation, with the result that its
grounds contain some of the best-preserved mediaeval town walls in England.
Very atmospheric on a moonlit night.

James  (M.A. DPhil. Oxon.)