[OS X TeX] Optimal Solution for an asymptotemk engine

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Apr 10 18:25:48 CEST 2010

On Apr 10, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 10.04.2010 um 14:34 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>
>> I haven't seen this happen.
>

> It happens kind of unpredictably. Recently I invoked TeX Live 2009's asy on an ASY file which was made by running pdflatex on the combined TEX source file. During this run asy even invoked pdflatex, which I only found because a system form appeared which informed me of the pdflatex crash and offered the choice to send a bug report to Apple. Similarly this happens more often with kpsewhich (kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT, kpsewhich --var-value=ASYMPTOTE_HOME) (using for example simply dtruss produces quite a lot of output I haven't debugged completely yet). That this happens for *me* is clear: the RC files which set up a standard shell environment are still prepared for a TL 2008 environment. For particular shells or processes I set its run-time environment for TL '07 or '09, and usually the programmes I work with inherit this environment for shells they spawn in which they let run some other sub-process. Asy seems to be an exception in that it does not inherit the proper but the default login environment.

Howdy,

Which RC files are you talking about? I'm not sure I'm fully understanding what you are saying here except that asy seems to be trying to run pdflatex and/or kpsewhich. Is the problem something internal to asy?

By the way, TL-2009 has asy 1.88 and the most recent version (along with asymptote.sty) is 1.91. But I have no idea what I'd have to do to build or install the latest version over the TL version. Would it be possible to use /usr/texbin/ as the internal path so it works with any version of asy and TL (well, starting with TL-2009 since previous version didn't have asy as far as I know.

> Similarly Jean-Claude has also something scrambled. Maybe in his ~/.asy directory?

Hmmm... while I've got a ~/.asy directory it seems to be empty.

> BTW, 'asy -v' would show some output from processing the ASY file. If that's not enough, try with -vv. The -vvv level should really be enough for use with LaTeX. (Very curious users could try -vvvv or -vvvvv.)

Hmmm... that might be a logical addition to the way asy is used in the asymptotemkrc file. Right now it's totally silent on my system.