[OS X TeX] Equations in books

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 11:51:10 CEST 2009

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:30:53AM -0500, George Gratzer wrote:
>> The equations in my book are numbered as (IV.3), where IV is the
>> chapter
>> number and 3 means third equation. I would like to drop IV. How do
>> I do
>> it.
>>
>> I use the book document class with all the ams packages.
>>
>> GG
>
> Did you already try something like
>
> \usepackage{remreset}
>
> \makeatother
> \@removefromreset{chapter}{equation}
> \makeatletter
>
> \renewcommand\theequation{\arabic{equation}}
>
> (not tested)
>
> --
> Siep Kroonenberg

What I am about to suggest may be an ugly workaround, and can be seen
to detriment portability. On the other hand, we're talking about a
book, so I believe there is more leeway in customization.
I found that you can easily customize book.cls to make it more similar
to amsbook.cls in its numbering of equations. As you may know, in
amsbook.cls equations are sequentially numbered, whereas in book.cls
they are numbered within chapters.
Of course, you should never alter the original book.cls, or any other,
but it is ok to make a copy, under a different name, and customize it.
In my limited testing, I created a copy of book.cls in my personal tex
tree (~/Library/texmf/tex/latex), named it 'mybook.cls' and commented
out just three lines of it (lines 542, 543 and 544):

%\@addtoreset {equation}{chapter}
%\renewcommand\theequation
%  {\ifnum \c at chapter>\z@ \thechapter.\fi \@arabic\c at equation}

(and, of course, used 'mybook' as the \documentclass in a small test
file, with a few dummy chapters and equations).
This seems to provide the book.cls look, but with equations numbered
as they would be in amsbook.

HTH

Luis Sequeira