[OS X TeX] Long document typesetting problems

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Sep 23 01:01:19 CEST 2009

Hi all,

On 23/09/2009, at 12:52 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> When you delete the aux files, pagination after the first
> typesetting may change due to missing cross-references (small
> changes in one page can move large floats around and cause big
> changes overall). This can cause the pdf to display a different
> page of the document. Typesetting a second time will restore the
> output and will normally bring up the "correct" page.

The .toc file is usually generated from the .aux contents.
So deleting the .aux  may also mean that the Table of Contents
is lost for that first run.  Perhaps also the Lists of Figures
and Tables, if any.

This can easily make a difference of 2 or 3 pages in the length
of the PDF produced. Quite correctly TeXshop's view changes,
because it synchronises to physical pages, not to the page numbers
which reset after the front-matter.
What the author reported is quite normal in a long document, which
presumably has a Table of Contents and maybe other front-matter.

A second run should restore these front-matter portions ---
but any cross-references, especially if hyperlinked, might now
be wrong because their information was collected when the document
was 2-3 pages shorter.

At least a *third* run will be required to fix this.

Personally I would do a *fourth* run as well, just to be sure.

> You can always sync to bring up the page you want. (I use synctex
> with texshop 2.26).

> Themis

Hope this helps,

	Ross