[OS X TeX] referencing external documents with xr

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Sep 15 21:42:10 CEST 2009

Hello Peter,

On 11/09/2009, at 11:05 PM, <peter.frings at agfa.com>
<peter.frings at agfa.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon all,
>
> I was trying to find a way to refer to sections, figures, etc. in
> external document, and stumbled upon the hyper-xr package. However,
> I'm having a problem with it that I cannot figure out by myself...

Do you mean Oberdieck's  xr-hyper.sty  package?

> The problem is that the link to the external file uses the same
> path as the one specified in the \externaldocument directive.

The syntax is:

  \externaldocument[prefix]{document}[URL]

That final optional argument is to provide the URL that
a user will see, when reading your PDF in its natural web
location. It should *not* contain a relative path in the
local file-system that stores the documents, unless this
relative path is also valid in the virtual one.

How else can such a concept work?

> In our system, we have many (PDF) documents, available to all co-
> workers, in a single, source-controlled folder. The .tex and other
> files (images, ...) for each of these documents live in a separate
> subtree, with a subfolder per document

> So, finally, my question: is there a way to make this work, one way
> or another, preferably without changing the structure of the  src
> and final trees?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter.

Hope this helps,