[OS X TeX] Snow Leopard and locator

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 8 05:38:31 CEST 2009

On Sep 7, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2009, at 8:47 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:
>
>> I couldn't see how to make Find search for system files in Snow
>> Leopard,
>
> Start a search in the find field in a finder window or start a
> spotlight search
>
> Click on the "+" sign next to the search field
>
> Under "Kind" under the search field in the finder window choose
> "system files"
>
> . . .
>
> Is this what you are looking for?

Adam,

Thanks for your response. I had eventually found that, in order to
have System Files appear in the menu, I had to choose Other, then
choose System Files, then, most importantly, select the box "In menu".
It is still a frustration that I have to go through several steps to
get what I want each time I search with Find---(a) select "System
Files"; (b) Select "are included"; (c) Click "File name", and then
what I get is not just file names. Every email message that contains
the search text is also listed, mixed in with the file names. This
makes me believe that the locate database approach is not yet dead. Of
course, if there were a reasonable way to do the same thing that Find
produces using a command line whose output could be filtered further,
the prognosis for the locate database would be poor.

Michael