[OS X TeX] Why does this hang so = [OT] electronic books

Martin Wilhelm Leidig listwatch at moss.in-berlin.de
Thu Oct 29 20:33:15 CET 2009

Am 2009-10-28 um 12.15 schrieb André Bellaïche:
> « all typesetting is done by the author. » In your dreams! as we say
> in French.

Same here in Germany.  ;-)

> Don't you know how much time is spent in a small publishing house
>

> - teaching TeX or LaTeX to authors
[…]
> - transforming ugly Scientific Word output into real LaTeX
[…]
> - correcting funny ideas about math typography.
[…]
> - teaching typography
[…]
> - teaching mathematical writing:
[…]
> - making macros for the authors.
[…]
> - solving font issues, accented character issues, PC-Mac issues.
[…]
> - helping authors for figures,
[…]
> - making all the final work to get, say, uniform
[…]

… and much more like that, if you work for more than one publisher.
In my case it’s less teaching but more reworking stuff, e.g.,

-- writing and maintaining classes, packages, BibTeX styles, demo
files and templates for the authors who use LaTeX,

-- converting the word stuff of those who don’t, including
   - having lots of fun with the output of those who don’t use Word
properly (if there is any way to use Word properly which I’m still not
convinced of),

-- editing, cropping, improving, … figures, and

-- typesetting the article, preparing proof and final versions.

… mit freundlichem Gruß aus Ladenburg:

-Moss-
--
Martin Wilhelm Leidig, Nadlerstr. 6, 68526 Ladenburg, Deutschland
SatzTeXnik und TeXnische Beratung -- Dante e.V. #1580