[OS X TeX] Why does this hang so = [OT] electronic books

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 01:48:13 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Jason Davies <ophiochos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 Oct 2009, at 23:28, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
>> Any university
>> professor gets free desk copies for all involved in the course (TA
>> included) and some promotional copies he/she never uses or even never
>> opens.
>>
>> Honestly I don't know is it a greed or monstrous waste
>

> really? I never pulled that off. I just had to buy a volume of which I had
> written a chapter, admittedly with a 'huge' 30% discount.
>
> (but we're way OT, apologies.)

But it is an absolutely standard practice in USA / Canada so there is
nothing to pull off. Sure it is about large undergraduate courses, not
small or graduate courses.

This are desk copies which instructor gets after textbook is selected.
Not to be confused with promo copies which instructor gets before and
most likely those are just glanced through.

Victor