[OS X TeX] Why does this hang so = [OT] electronic books

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Oct 27 23:46:00 CET 2009

On Oct 27, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Jason Davies <ophiochos at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> the vast majority of the cost of a book is the preparation.
>
> I am really surprised. My experience is that all typesetting is done
> by the author. It may be another story with textbooks but for research
> monographs!
> The same story with journals. Reviewers AFAIK are free

Howdy,

I guess I interpret the statement as referring to the writing of the
book rather than the typesetting.

When I was going to graduate school (quite a bit before TeX was
around) I understood that books that contained maths were expensive
because they required specially trained typesetting talent. Now that
there is software that allows for the author typesetting the maths
with no special typesetting talent necessary I no longer understand
why books are so expensive.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)