[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility not updating + texdoc broken!

Juan Acevedo juan.acevedo at gmx.net
Mon Oct 26 06:22:24 CET 2009

Hello

I wonder if someone can point me to a solution for what is starting to
look to this ignorant fellow like a partially broken TeX Live
installation.

I have a MacTeX-installed TL 2008 which seems to be running fine
(documents compile alright), but for some time now TL Utility gives me
the message "No updates available". I have successfully reinstalled
tlmgr, via the menu option in TL Utility, and I still get "No updates".

Now I have discovered that texdoc is not working, though I have
checked, and both the alias in texbin and texdoc.tlu are in the right
places.

Are these problems related? Is there a simple fix for this other than
reinstalling everything? If reinstalling is the option of choice, does
this mean simply downloading MacTeX and running the installer again?

I have also tried
echo $PATH
with this result:
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Many thanks,
Juan