[OS X TeX] Illustrations appear as black boxes

Adam Fenn acwfenn at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 23 12:47:42 CEST 2009

I have a few large illustrations (2.2MB+) in my document which TeXshop
displays as solid black boxes or, to be more accurate, negatives.
Smaller illustrations display OK. If I open up the file in Adobe Reader
the illustrations are displayed correctly and will print out. But if I
leave the document open for any length of time the illustrations and
fonts all disappear leaving blank pages. Is there anything I can do to
remedy this?

TIA
Adam.