[OS X TeX] texhash has stopped working -help!

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 20 11:53:26 CEST 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 05:09:28 -0400, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:28 AM, Rowland McDonnell

>> I've got MacTeX 2008 installed - having used the MacTeX installer
>> normally
>> (3.06GHz Core2Duo iMac, MacOS X 10.6.1).
>
> Please run tests
> % which tex
> % which texhash
> % ls /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/texhash
> % /usr/local/texlive/20089/bin/universal-darwin/texhash
>
> % echo $PATH       (if you are using bash)
> % echo $path          (if you are using tcsh)

The path /usr/texbin should be present, as a link to the active tex dist,
so include the output of

% ls /usr/texbin
% /usr/texbin/mktexlsr

as well.

I think that the path settings for MacTeX/TextLive were nuked during the
upgrade to 10.6, but you just hadn't noticed so far, as the GUI tools
(Texshop) do not rely on the shell path.

If /usr/texbin is missing from your $PATH, then

% sudo echo '/usr/textbin' > /etc/path.d/TeX

should suffice, although you'd have to check the exact name of the
directory in the last command, as I'm not at my mac right now. After the
fix you will need to restart your terminal.

>> I've just added a package manually.
>>
>> I tried to run texhash, which I've run before.   It used to do as
>> expected, but it's stopped working.  This is what I was told:
>>
>> Harry:~ rowland$ texhash
>> -bash: texhash: command not found
>> Harry:~ rowland$ mktexlsr
>> -bash: mktexlsr: command not found
>> Harry:~ rowland$
>>
>> Clearly, some path is not correctly set

Although you're jumping to conclusions, I agree that this is the most
likely cause.

Best,

Maarten