[OS X TeX] Didnt able to understand this messege in Console window

James Crippen jcrippen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 05:31:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 09:50, HELL BOY <pinkfloydindia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 293--294"
>
> I always ignore this, I am just curious to know the meaning of this messege.

A little slow to respond here, sorry. One of the other common places
that this message occurs is in bibliographies constructed with BibTeX
(or BibLaTeX). A field (usually the title) may have some word that
LaTeX doesn't know how to hyphenate, and so it pushes it onto the next
line which causes the previous line to be underfilled. The best
solution is to add discretionary hyphens, \-, at appropriate places in
the offending word so that LaTeX will hyphenate it properly.

Cheers,
James