[OS X TeX] Spacing of first two rows in tabular environment

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 5 03:29:34 CEST 2009

Hi Berend, Michael and others,

On 02/10/2009, at 5:51 PM, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> On 02-10-2009, at 08:52, Michael Hoppe wrote:
>
>> \vphantom{$\Bigl($}
>
> This seems to give extra vertical space between the first and
> second table row.
>
> It seems that with
>
> \hline\rule{0mm}{1pt}\\*[-12pt]

Not sure why you want that explicit \rule .

This works for me, to ~2pt of extra space while picking up
any vertical cell lines that have been specified:

  \hline
   & & ... & \\[-12pt]

(assuming the normal baselineskip is ~14pt)

where there is an '&' for each new cell, as usual.

> the OP could get what he wants without additional packages.

Agreed. The extra packages are fine if they provide effects that
you cannot normally achieve. Otherwise the extra syntax that they
require can obfuscate what you are doing and make your tabular
material less portable.

> I used 11pt in the \documentclass.
>
> Berend

Hope this helps,