[OS X TeX] hyphenation

Nestor Aguilera aguilera at santafe-conicet.gov.ar
Fri Oct 2 02:45:06 CEST 2009

Hello,

In the old days, I was able to make my own formats choosing things like
hyphenation patterns and paper size. Nowadays, I wouldn't dare (yes, in
the even older days I was able to tune-up my car).

I am even afraid of adding or removing fonts and using updmap (was it
-sys?, do I have to put an -H?, I find contradictory advices from the
MacTeX Wiki and this mailing list).

Although I (think I) understand the idea of one-size-fits-all of MacTeX,
in a slow machine every drop counts: reduce the hyphenations, drop lots of
fonts (updmap --listmaps shows about 181 fonts in my setting!).

With Miktex (for PC's) I could still make some basic choices (like
choosing hyphenations): is there a similar way to do it via TeX Live
Utility (where I can see that I can only change the paper size) or any
other application?

Thanks in advance.

Nestor