[OS X TeX] Apple PDF viewer bugs on this shading

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 30 18:52:27 CET 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Le 30 nov. 2009 à 17:31, Herbert Schulz a écrit :
>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> I can confirm the problem you are seeing. Since the same pdf displays differently in PDFKit previewers (e.g., TeXShop and Preview --- incorrectly) while displaying correctly in Adobe Reader and (almost correctly --- transitions not smooth) in TeXworks I'd say it is a PDFKit problem. On the other hand, the fact that the latex->dvips->ps2pdf produced version appears correctly in all previewers leads me to a possible edge problem in tikz or pdftex. Sigh...
>>
>> This is using MacTeX(TeX Live)-2009 with all updates.
>
> Hi
>
> I used MacTeX(TeX Live)-2009 with all updates.
>

> pdftex or tikz ? perhaps but it's not obvious!
>
> Two remarks :
>
> 1 ) if you try to open the pdf
>
> http://media.texample.net/tikz/examples/PDF/hsv-shading.pdf
>
> with Safari, you see the problem but if you
> use Adobe reader plug-in in Safari you can display the pdf

Howdy,

Safari probably uses Apple's PDFKit for pdf display as Preview and TeXShop also do while Adobe Reader uses Adobe's technology.

> 2 ) If you compile with TexShop with dvi-ps-pdf the result
> is "correct" and Preview displays this pdf.
> So the PDF is different with pdftex mode pdf and pdftex mose dvi ?
>
> Best regards
>
> Alain Matthes

And that's the reason that I wonder if it might be something in tikz (when it detects pdf mode it most likely generates different specials) or pdftex that is creating the problem.

By the way, compiling with xelatex there is no color fill at all.

So the answer is I don't really know where the `blame' is to be placed.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)