[OS X TeX] Apple PDF viewer bugs on this shading

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 30 17:31:17 CET 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Hi
>
> On the french news group, I read this :
>
> There is a problem when I compile the file:
>
> http://media.texample.net/tikz/examples/TEX/hsv-shading.tex
>
> 1) first with pdflatex and texshop
> The file above compiles without problem but TexShop
> displays a bad result but adobe reader gives a fine result.
> The result is bad with Preview.
>
> 2) With dvi-ps-pdf Texshop displays a "good" result, only good
> if you can compare the pdfs.
>

> You can find the pdf here :
>
> http://www.texample.net/tikz/examples/hsv-shading/
>
> I try this example with Ubuntu and texworks and the result
> is just "good".
>
> Where is the bug ?
>
> Best Regards
>
> Alain Matthes

Howdy,

I can confirm the problem you are seeing. Since the same pdf displays differently in PDFKit previewers (e.g., TeXShop and Preview --- incorrectly) while displaying correctly in Adobe Reader and (almost correctly --- transitions not smooth) in TeXworks I'd say it is a PDFKit problem. On the other hand, the fact that the latex->dvips->ps2pdf produced version appears correctly in all previewers leads me to a possible edge problem in tikz or pdftex. Sigh...

This is using MacTeX(TeX Live)-2009 with all updates.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)