[OS X TeX] tlmgr and TeX Live Utility

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Nov 29 22:18:55 CET 2009

On Nov 29, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>> On Nov 29, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:
>>
>>> In addition, It would also be useful to me to understand how TeX Live Utilty calls tlmgr----specifically, if it results in tlmgr running updmap-sys, is it the same effect as 'sudo updmap-sys' or is it like 'sudo -H updmap-sys', ignoring all maps that are in the user TeX trees.
>>
>> This depends on the "Install updates for all users" checkbox in TLU preferences.  If checked (the default) TLU does the moral equivalent of `sudo -H tlmgr foo`.
>>
> Just for my information what is the equivalent call if the checkbox is unchecked?

In that case, it depends on whether you have write privileges to the install location (determined using `kpsewhich -var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT`).  If you have write privileges, TLU uses `tlmgr foo`.  If not, it uses the equivalent of `sudo tlmgr foo`.

NB: if the box is checked, root privileges are required even if you have write permission on the tree; I may change this at some point, but figuring out a better solution is a low priority.  Maybe setting HOME to /dev/null would do it...but more likely I'd have to use a temp directory.