[OS X TeX] tlmgr and TeX Live Utility

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sun Nov 29 20:43:40 CET 2009

I'm trying to get a grip on how the various forms of updmap[-sys] work. It seems that the tlmgr script may call updmap-sys in some circumstances, but my understanding of PERL is not good enough to understand what those circumstances are. In addition, It would also be useful to me to understand how TeX Live Utilty calls tlmgr----specifically, if it results in tlmgr running updmap-sys, is it the same effect as 'sudo updmap-sys' or is it like 'sudo -H updmap-sys', ignoring all maps that are in the user TeX trees.

Michael