[OS X TeX] 64 Bit Binaries for TeX Live 2009

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Nov 24 23:34:43 CET 2009

On 24 Nov 2009, at 21:55, Richard Koch wrote:

> Konrad,
>
> I'm the guy who made BasicTeX. I flat out don't believe the binaries
> are faster in BasicTeX for a rather simple reason: they are exactly
> the same binaries.

Yes, the binaries are identical. But what about the formats -- in
particular, does BasicTeX have the full collection of hyphenation
languages, or is it English-only? That could make a significant
difference to engine startup time. And the smaller ls-R files would
load faster during kpathsearch initialization.

So I think it's logical that there'd be a (slight, and fairly constant
regardless of document length) difference.

JK