[OS X TeX] Spaces in the filename

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 24 15:50:14 CET 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2009, at 6:57 AM, Josep Maria Font wrote:
>
>> I know that it is not recommended to put spaces in filenames, although
>> TeXShop is now able to cope with them. Generally speaking. Recently I
>> received a file from a colleague with a space in its name, and without
>> noticing this I successfully typeset it... but synchronization was not
>> working. Intrigued with this, I finally noticed that the
>> created .synctex.gz file had been named "file name.synctex".gz,
>> including the space and the quotation marks. I then removed the space
>> and everything was fine.
>

> Yes,  I have noticed the same behavior. It was extremely frustrating (lots of blind spots in synchronization) until I realized it is the space in the  file name that causes this behavior (texlive 2008+TS 2.26).
>
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:10 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> The latest MacTeX-2009 (and I think 2008 too) along with the latest TeXShop 2.8 (only comes with MacTeX-2009 right now and has a synctex bug on PPC systems---TeXShop 2.29, with this fixed, should be out shortly) doesn't have this problem with the syntex.gz file.
>
> Good to hear that this will be fixed in the next release of TS.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

I know that there has been a large effort to have the TeX distribution allow file names with spaces but, unfortunately, the distribution is so large that little annoyances seem to pop up ans it is a patchwork of fixes. The easiest thing is to just avoid the spaces! I've used things like MyFile.tex and that seems to work for me.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)