[OS X TeX] how to gather all aux files in the same folder

raymond seroul at math.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Nov 17 22:42:57 CET 2009

I am working with plain.tex

The file essai.tex is contained into the folder chapter1
(path : chapter1/essai1.tex)

The following code works fine :

\newwrite \auxfile
\immediate \openout  \auxfile  \jobname.aux
\immediate \write \auxfile {encore un essai !}
\immediate \closeout \auxfile

If I want to put the aux file into a folder named separatefolder
contained inside chapter1 (path : chapter1/separatefolder),
the code following works again :

\newwrite \auxfile
\immediate \openout  \auxfile  separatefolder/\jobname.aux
\immediate \write \auxfile {encore un essai !}
\immediate \closeout \auxfile

The aux file is now chapter1/separatefolder/essai1.aux

But when folders chapter1 and separatefolder have the same father
(paths father/chapter1 and father/separatefolder),
the following code do not work :

\newwrite \auxfile
\immediate \openout \auxfile  ../separatefolder/\jobname.aux
\immediate \write \auxfile {encore un essai !}
\immediate \closeout \auxfile

I get the error message :

(./essai.tex/usr/texbin/pdftex: Not writing to ../separatefolder/essai.aux (openout_any = p).

! I can't write on file `../separatefolder/essai.aux'.
l.5 ...ut \auxfile  ../separatefolder/\jobname.aux

The some error occurs if   ../separatefolder/\jobname.aux
is changed in  "../separatefolder/\jobname.aux"

Can anybody tell where is the -- probably obvious -- error ?

Thank you.

Raymond Séroul
Université de Strasbourg