[OS X TeX] Re : LaTeX output on a weblog

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Nov 14 22:43:58 CET 2009

On 15/11/2009, at 2:29 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2009, at 6:16 AM, Andrei Sobolevskii wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 13:51, Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn at gmx.de>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> First, you asked about blogspot.com. That's the free blogging
>>> service of
>>> Google, and I have not heard about a way to use LaTeX there directly
>>> yet, although I do not want to rule that out.
>>
>> A Google search on "blogspot latex" reveals at least two relevant
>> pages:
>>
>> http://watchmath.com/vlog/?p=438
>> http://wdjoyner.blogspot.com/2008/04/latex-on-blogger-test.html
>>
>> The first one uses a third-party web service to render equations. The
>> second one is based on technology apparently involving a Greasemonkey
>> script to be used with Firefox, but in fact formulas on that page are
>> rendered perfectly in Safari on my Mac.  I did not investigate why it
>> works though.
>
> An issue might be how widely we want to make what we publish on the
> web readable. For instance, I believe that publishing in MathML
> requires something special from the reader (Fonts?) which, If the
> reader is a mathematician, may be a small price for her/him to pay
> but which, in other cases, mine for instance, would tend to be a
> deterrent.

For someone who already knows how to write in LaTeX,
such as those reading this list, the perfect tool to use
is jsMath , or its soon to be released off-shoot MathJAX.

   http://www.mathjax.com/
   http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/

I've been using jsMath for 3 years now, with the Australian
Math Society's Wiki, and other Mathematical Society's sites.
Once setup on your server's domain, it just requires a single
line of coding in the header of a webpage, and LaTeX coding
can be interpreted on the fly in a surfer's browser (provided
only that Javascript is enabled --- a requirement for most
Wikis anyway).

It is then up to the surfer to configure whether to use
downloaded images of the math characters, or whether to get
better quality by downlading extra fonts, or to use any
Unicode fonts with math characters that may already by
available on their own system.

MathJAX should have all these same customisations,
and with extra compatibility features for software
on the server side --- including support for MathML.

> Regards
> --schremmer

Hope this helps,

	Ross