[OS X TeX] Re : LaTeX output on a weblog

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 15:57:42 CET 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 3:15 AM, <ewan.Delanoy at math.unicaen.fr>
<ewan.Delanoy at math.unicaen.fr> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2009, at 2:06 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote :
>
>> 1) What is the input in?
>
>   I don't understand that question. I guess the input would be "LaTeX
> source"-format
> piece of text, e.g. $\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx$.
>
>> 2) Why not pdf?
>
>   Because it's easier for the blog reader to see the whole
> mathematical
> text all
> at once instead of having to click and wait to see a separate
> mathematical
> content.

Sorry about that: It was not clear to me whether you wanted to put
papers on your site or have a mathematical blog.

>> 3) How about phpmathpublisher for inserting mathematics in html?
>> 4)  I am using WordPress for the blog on http://
>> www.freemathtexts.org,
> a rather small domain.
>
>   Do you have to pay a monthly fee to own that domain ? Both
> phpmathpublisher and Wordpress need to be installed in "online
> directories"  and (again, correct
> me if I'm mistaken) this is not possible in free "blogspots".

I pay around $80 a year and so don't think of it as being
prohibitive. I decided to stay away from the "free hosts" because,
"ain't no free lunch". In particular, they will say that they
registered your domain name for you but in fact  *they* will own the
name so you won't be able to leave them without having to get another
name.

>  Pheraps this is more of a general Internet question than a LaTeX one.

It is not for me to say but it seems to me that we write in LaTeX for
others to read what we wrote. So, how to "publish" is part of a
process that only starts with LaTeX. And, when the writing in LaTeX
is on the Mac, so will, presumably, be the end of the process, if
only in translating the LaTeX into html.

By the way, I haven't found the latter to be "idiot proof" as it sure
resisted me. The best I was able to do was with "Chapter Thirteen", a
file I translated from LATEX in part by TTH, version 3.38.

Regards
--schremmer