[OS X TeX] reply-to-thread inconvenience acknowledged

Raphael Attie raphael.attie at mac.com
Thu Nov 12 15:03:50 CET 2009

> Raphael,
>
> What Peter is referring to is the practice of clicking on "Reply" in
> order to start a new topic.
> You can read more about it at the "List Reminders and Etiquette"
> page linked at the bottom of every List message.
> This practice really gets irksome because "threaded" mail readers
> can tell that you clicked "Reply" - you are guilty of this on at
> least one occasion, more specifically, in the thread "problem with
> \caption in Mactex 2009" you replied to another message "In-Reply-
> To: 	<4115492A-F82A-417E-95AB-4995F288C965 at mac.com>" by starting a
> new thread entitled "amsmath and txfonts in Mactex 2009".
>
> Yes, I realize that you started both threads, but you really
> shouldn't change the title in the Subject line, as some mail readers
> thread by Subject, as well as by the "In-Reply-To" header.
> If you need to start a new topic, click "New Message", address it to
> the list, give it a Subject line that is relevant and unique enough
> that it won't get threaded into any ongoing messages, and then start
> typing.
>
> If you don't Peter is going to chide you, and then I'm going to
> remind you again.
>
> Hope that clears things up a little.

Please accept my sincere apologies. I completely misunderstood rule 1
of the etiquette, about starting a new thread. I got it know.
Sorry about the mess.

One question though: Do we actually have to insert [OS X TeX] in the
subject ? Or is it inserted automatically when posting the the list ?

Raphael Attie
Ph.D Student
Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research
Max Planck Str. 2
37191 Katlenburg-Lindau
Germany