[OS X TeX] amsmath and txfonts in Mactex 2009

David Watson dewatson at me.com
Thu Nov 12 14:19:06 CET 2009

On Nov 12, 2009, at 6:46 AM, Raphael Attie wrote:

> Peter,
> I apologize for the inconvenience but I'm not sure what you meant by "usurping previous thread", could you be more specific ? In mail (v3.6), I only have "Reply" or "Reply all" or "Forward". I don't have anything else.
> When posting a new thread, I simply clicked "To" with [Os X Tex]+my_subject as the subject header.
> Or are you refering to the fact that all previous messages are in my replies ? this of course I can change it.
>

>> Could you please learn to start a new thread by not usurping the previous thread? In Mail you can click on the To or Reply-To header to start a new thread...

Raphael,

What Peter is referring to is the practice of clicking on "Reply" in order to start a new topic.
You can read more about it at the "List Reminders and Etiquette" page linked at the bottom of every List message.
This practice really gets irksome because "threaded" mail readers can tell that you clicked "Reply" - you are guilty of this on at least one occasion, more specifically, in the thread "problem with \caption in Mactex 2009" you replied to another message "In-Reply-To: 	<4115492A-F82A-417E-95AB-4995F288C965 at mac.com>" by starting a new thread entitled "amsmath and txfonts in Mactex 2009".

Yes, I realize that you started both threads, but you really shouldn't change the title in the Subject line, as some mail readers thread by Subject, as well as by the "In-Reply-To" header.
If you need to start a new topic, click "New Message", address it to the list, give it a Subject line that is relevant and unique enough that it won't get threaded into any ongoing messages, and then start typing.

If you don't Peter is going to chide you, and then I'm going to remind you again.

Hope that clears things up a little.