[OS X TeX] problem with \caption in Mactex 2009

Raphael Attie raphael.attie at mac.com
Wed Nov 11 23:36:31 CET 2009

Thanks for this first help. I got some interesting results, but not
there yet....
BTW, the trim didn't cause the trouble. I tried without, same outcome.

So, following your recommendation, within caption subdirectory , i
have :

caption.sty
caption2.sty
caption3.sty
ltcaption.sty
subcaption.sty

With \usepackage{caption2}
it worked provided that i do not use the subfig package, which load
the caption package. Otherwise, they conflict and typeset crashes. The
package caption2 is said "obsolete" in some warning. Reading its doc,
i see that it was deprecated and replaced by caption. The doc I read
is from 2007, so, maybe it was this caption2 that I was using in the
2007 version.
Even if I can use caption2, i still need the subfig package...

So, i tried to grep \captionlabelfont (see below for detailed
result) , they are present in both files (caption.sty and
caption2.sty ).  cph at font found only in caption3.sty

GREP of \captionlabelfont  in CAPTION.STY :
ATTIE-TME7:texlive attie$ grep \captionlabelfont /usr/local/texlive/
2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/caption.sty

\DeclareCaptionOptionNoValue*{up}{\l at addto@macro\captionlabelfont
\upshape}
\DeclareCaptionOptionNoValue*{it}{\l at addto@macro\captionlabelfont
\itshape}
\DeclareCaptionOptionNoValue*{sl}{\l at addto@macro\captionlabelfont
\slshape}
\DeclareCaptionOptionNoValue*{sc}{\l at addto@macro\captionlabelfont
\scshape}
\DeclareCaptionOptionNoValue*{md}{\l at addto@macro\captionlabelfont
\mdseries}
\DeclareCaptionOptionNoValue*{bf}{\l at addto@macro\captionlabelfont
\bfseries}
\DeclareCaptionOptionNoValue*{rm}{\l at addto@macro\captionlabelfont
\rmfamily}
\DeclareCaptionOptionNoValue*{sf}{\l at addto@macro\captionlabelfont
\sffamily}
\DeclareCaptionOptionNoValue*{tt}{\l at addto@macro\captionlabelfont
\ttfamily}
   \let\captionlabelfont at ORI\captionlabelfont
     \let\captionlabelfont\captionlabelfont at ORI
     \let\captionlabelfont at ORI\@undefined

GREP of \captionlabelfont  in CAPTION2.STY :
ATTIE-TME7:texlive attie$ grep \captionlabelfont /usr/local/texlive/
2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/caption2.sty

   \let\captionlabelfont\@empty
       {\captionlabelfont\captionlabel\captionlabeldelim}
\captionlabelsep}%
\DeclareOption{up}{\g at addto@macro\captionlabelfont\upshape}
\DeclareOption{it}{\g at addto@macro\captionlabelfont\itshape}
\DeclareOption{sl}{\g at addto@macro\captionlabelfont\slshape}
\DeclareOption{sc}{\g at addto@macro\captionlabelfont\scshape}
\DeclareOption{md}{\g at addto@macro\captionlabelfont\mdseries}
\DeclareOption{bf}{\g at addto@macro\captionlabelfont\bfseries}
\DeclareOption{rm}{\g at addto@macro\captionlabelfont\rmfamily}
\DeclareOption{sf}{\g at addto@macro\captionlabelfont\sffamily}
\DeclareOption{tt}{\g at addto@macro\captionlabelfont\ttfamily}
       \ifx\captionlabelfont\@empty
         \let\captionlabelfont\@fs at cfont
   \renewcommand*\captionlabelfont{\normalfont\subcapsize
\subcaplabelfont}%

GREP of cph at font  in whole MacTeX 2009 tree :

ATTIE-TME7:texlive attie$ grep -d recurse cph at font /usr/local/texlive/
2009/texmf-dist/tex
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/caption3.sty:
\setbox\@tempboxa\hbox{{\cph at font #1:} {\cpb at font #2}}%
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/
caption3.sty:        \@hangfrom{\cph at font #1: }{\cpb at font #2\par}%
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/caption3.sty:
\DeclareCaptionDefaultFont{labelfont}{\cph at font}
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/paper/paper.cls:\def
\captionheaderfont#1{\def\cph at font{#1}}  \def\cph at font{}
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/paper/paper.cls: \setbox